Built at the corner of Brunswick and Gerrish streets in Halifax around 1755, the Little Dutch Church was used as a meeting house for German-speaking Lutherans. It was moved in 1756. Four years later a steeple was added and it was dedicated as a church. Its significance as a provincial heritage site is partly related to the fact that the majority of non-British Protestant immigrants to Halifax between 1749 and 1752 were German-speaking Lutherans. Note the dry historic stone wall. Thanks to John Scott for this submission.



Our Integrated Resource person, Evan Oxland, who is in England this year at the University of  Bristol doing an MA in garden history submitted the picture immediately above and below. The picture is in a book on 'Canadian Architecture' by Harold Kalman, from volume 1, pages 107-108 . 

The engraving above is by John Fougeron of a drawing by Richard Short ,which is the Church of St Paul Halifax Nova Scotia 1759 showing an uncompleted or fallen down dry stone wall.

This old photo below is of a little dutch church (or 'old dutch church') in Halifax, circa 1750, of a dry stone wall which unfortunately is no longer there. The photo was takne by Joseph Rogers around 1870.